Lei Lu is a Staff Engineer at VMware Inc. He got his Ph.D. in Computer Science at the College of William and Mary in 2014. Before that, he received his Master and Bachelor degrees from Nanjing University. He spent his first 18 years in Tianjin attending Tianjin Nankai High School.
Lei is interested in doing research in operating systems, virtualization, resource management, and performance analysis.
- 2016 NDSS Distinguished Poster Award
- 2015 USENIX LISA Best Paper Award
- 2015 IEEE CLOUD Best Paper Award
- 2010 International Teletraffic Congress (ITC22) Best Student Paper Award
- 2010 William & Mary Award for Excellence in the Natural & Computational Sciences
- Program Committees: IEEE CLOUD'20, IEEE CLOUD'19, IEEE CLOUD'18, IEEE CLOUD'17, ACM/SPEC ICPE'17, IEEE ICPADS'16, ACM/SPEC ICPE'16, IEEE CLOUD'15
- Journal Reviewer: IEEE TPDS, ACM TOMPECS
- [IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing] "Virtual Machine Extrospection: A Reverse Information Retrieval in Clouds", J. Xiao, L. Lu, H. Huang, H. Wang, IEEE Transactions on Cloud Computing, July 11, 2018.
- [USENIX ATC'16] "Hyperprobe: Towards Virtual Machine Extrospection", J. Xiao, L. Lu, H. Huang, H. Wang, 2016 USENIX Annual Technical Conference, Denver, CO, June 22-24, 2016
- [IEEE ICAC'16] "HyperLink: Virtual Machine Introspection without Kernel Source Code", J. Xiao, L. Lu, H. Wang, X. Zhu, The 13th IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing, Wurzburg, Germany, July. 19-22, 2016.
- [NDSS'16 Poster] "TwinHype: A Novel Approach to Reduce Cloud Downtime", L. Lu, X. Gao, J. Xiao, NDSS Symposium 2016, San Diego, CA, Feb. 21-24, 2016. (Distinguished Poster Award)
- [USENIX LISA'15] "Hyperprobe: Towards Virtual Machine Extrospection", J. Xiao, L. Lu, H. Huang, H. Wang, The 29th Large Installation System Administration Conference, Washington D.C., Nov. 08-13, 2015. (Best Paper Award). Invited talk at USENIX Annual Technical Conference (USENIX'16) 'Best of the Rest'
- [IEEE CLOUD'15] "Less Can Be More: Micro-managing VMs in Amazon EC2", J. Wen, L. Lu, C. Giuliano, E. Smirni, The 8th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing, New York, June 27- July 02, 2015. (Best Paper Award)
- [IEEE CLOUD'15] "Proactive Memory Scaling of Virtualized Applications", S. Spinner, N. Herbst, S. Kounev, X. Zhu, L. Lu, M. Uysal, R. Griffith, The 8th IEEE International Conference on Cloud Computing, New York, June 27- July 02, 2015.
- [IEEE/IFIP NOMS'14] "Application-driven Dynamic Vertical Scaling of Virtual Machines in Resource Pools", L. Lu, X. Zhu, R. Griffith, P. Padala, A. Parikh, P. Shah, E. Smirni, The 2014 IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium, Krakow, Poland, May 5-9, 2014
- [IEEE/IFIP NOMS'14] "Effective Resource and Workload Management in Data Centers", L. Lu, E. Smirni, The 2014 IEEE/IFIP Network Operations and Management Symposium, Krakow, Poland, May 5-9, 2014
- [IEEE SASO'14] "Runtime Vertical Scaling of Virtualized Applications via Online Model Estimation", S. Spinner, S. Kounev, X. Zhu, L. Lu, M. Uysal, A. Holler, R. Griffith, The 8th IEEE International Conference on Self-Adaptive and Self-Organizing Systems, London, UK, September 8-12, 2014
- [VMware Technical Journal] "Scaling of Cloud Applications Using Machine Learning", P. Padala, A. Holler, L. Lu, A. Parikh, M. Yechuri, X. Zhu, VMware Technical Journal, Summer, 2014.
- [ACM/IEEE IWQoS'13] "Predictive VM Consolidation on Multiple Resources: Beyond Load Balancing", L. Lu, H. Zhang, E. Smirni, G. Jiang, K. Yoshihira, The 21st ACM/IEEE International Symposium on Quality of Service, Montreal, Canada, June 3-4, 2013.
- [Springer Wireless personal communications], "A self-adaptive Spectrum Management Middleware for Wireless Sensor Networks", R. Thompson, G. Zhou, L. Lu, S. Krishnamurthy, H. Dong, X. Qi, Y. Li, M. Keally, Z. Ren, Wireless personal communications, vol. 68, page 131-151, Jan. 1, 2013.
- [ACM/IEEE ICAC'11] "Untangling Mixed Information to Calibrate Resource Utilization in Virtual Machines", L. Lu, H. Zhang, G. Jiang, H. Chen, K. Yoshihira, E. Smirni, The 8th ACM/IEEE International Conference on Autonomic Computing, Karlsruhe, Germany June 14-18, 2011.
- [ICWE'10] "AWAIT: Efficient Overload Management for Busy Multi-tier Web Services under Bursty Workloads", L. Lu, L. Cherkasova, V. de Nitto Persone, N. Mi, E. Smirni, The 10th International Conference on Web Engineering, Vienna, Austria, July 5-9, 2010.
- [ITC 22] "Fastrack for Taming Burstiness and Saving Power in Multi-tiered Systems", A. Caniff, L. Lu, N. Mi, L. Cherkasova, E. Smirni, The 22nd International Teletraffic Congress, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, September 7-9, 2010. (Best Student Paper Award)
- [IEEE ICCCN'09] "SAS: Self-adaptive Spectrum Management for Wireless Sensor Networks", G. Zhou, L. Lu, S. Krishnamurthy, M. Keally, Z. Ren, The 18th International Conference on Computer Communications and Networks, San Francisco, August 2-6, 2009.